It is always energizing when you smell the freshly brewed coffee from your neighbor’s kitchen, and no matter how sleepy you are, you’ll be jumping out of bed to start your brew. As a coffee enthusiast, you aim for that perfect cup of coffee early in the morning to kickstart your day.
Many coffee experts would agree that the most crucial thing in making a fine cup of coffee, aside from the fresh beans is a perfect grind.
And it stays that way whether you love drip or French press coffee, a nice quality grind would bring you a great-tasting cup of Joe anytime you want it.
Can OXO Brew conical burr coffee grinder do that for you?
What Can You Expect From OXO Brew Coffee Grinder?
So, if you’re trying to upgrade for something better than your old coffee bean grinder, but afraid that you might end up purchasing a good-for-nothing burr grinder, then we’re here to help. Let’s find out how you would like the OXO Brew Coffee Grinder, which is probably one of the best coffee grinders at the entry-level category.
- 40mm stainless steel conical burr that produces uniform grounds.
- 15 grind settings (with micro settings).
- A one-touch timer that retains your last setting.
- A large hopper that can hold a weight of 0.75 lbs (340 grams) of whole coffee grains.
- A large grounds container that can hold a weight of up to 110 grams good for 12 cups.
- Stainless steel body.
And Now Closer Look At OXO Grinder
Probably, the OXO got your attention with its looks, right? It’s likely to win the best coffee grinder in the best aesthetic category, right? We’re just kidding. The OXO conical burr coffee grinder is somewhat minimalist for its design as it is compact and has a very simple but elegant aesthetic that can easily match any kitchen architecture.
But for a $100-price the OXO has more than its facade as it can grind coffee with precision just like the other brands that will even cost you more. Although the OXO contains a few settings compared to premium brands, its simple operation and convenience will make it an excellent choice.
Stainless Steel Conical Burr
Coffee enthusiasts will always look for a quality grind, and the first thing they’ll look into is the burr. The conical burr is made of stainless steel, which is strong and durable enough to crush coffee beans into a consistent ground.
The 40 mm burr size is larger compared to cheaper grinders, so you get a quicker and more consistent grind. In a test done, the 25-gram of whole beans can be ground for approximately 12 seconds, and that’s pretty fast compared to other competing brands.
With this kind of feature, preparing your favorite cup of Joe and sharing it with your loved ones has never been more convenient.
Although the OXO has only 15 settings compared to other high-end and overly expensive coffee grinders, it produces an above-average quality grind. The ground is relatively consistent in texture, and the fine dust is just minimal when tested on a French press setting.
This clearly shows that the ground coffee will have better chances of reaching its full potential when brewed. Whether you want to use espresso, drip or French press, the 15-setting function of the OXO Brew does its job better than most burr grinders sold in the market.
One-touch Start Setting
The One-Touch start setting feature of the OXO is very useful to know exactly what is your last setting. The timer is also useful to measure how much ground coffee you want to brew, although this can’t be as accurate because the beans are not uniform in size.
However, the automatic timer still helps in estimating how much ground you can make in a certain amount of time. You may have to use the OXO Brew a few times to be able to master the timer setting, so you may have to do some experiments on this.
Another important feature that separates the OXO from other grinders is the feature-rich hopper. With a capacity of 0.755 lbs (340 g), the hopper can grind for more than 30 cups of Joe, which is enough to call for a coffee party. However, keep in mind that the grind container can only hold 110 g of ground, so you have three batches of grinding to do.
The hopper is also featured with a mess-free design, which means that you can simply remove it with the remaining beans and store it somewhere else. You don’t have to pour out the beans to another container as the hopper itself can act as the storage.
What more? The hopper has a UV-blocking tint so you don’t have to worry about the UV light spoiling the flavor compounds of your beans when you unwittingly leave the hopper in someplace where the sunbeams can reach.
Large Grind Container
Having a large grind container that can hold a maximum of 110 g is an advantage, particularly when you have to brew a bunch of cups of Joe. However, if you’re just preparing for a cup or two, it would be more practical to grind just enough so you can always have fresh grounds though you can always keep the leftovers in an airtight container to preserve them.
What Alternatives There Are For OXO Brew Grinder
We also found other brands that are in the same price range that you may also find interesting. It would likely help you appreciate them if you know at least some of their features.
Encore is Baratza’s entry-level grinder that can make your dream of being a home barista come true as you can have an espresso, drip or French press with this feature-rich product for just $139.
Who Are OXO?
OXO is an American company founded by Sam Farber and his son, John Farber in the year 1990. Interestingly, the name OXO came from John’s love for the letter “O” and his wife, Betsy a clever woman who wants a logo that can be read backward, straight, and upside down.
And so, the ambigram OXO came out to life and started producing comfortable to use kitchen and cooking tools.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you use OXO Coffee Grinder?
The OXO grinder is plain and simple to use, and we prepared a short guide for your reference. Bringing out the barista in you will only take a few simple steps.
- Select the grind setting by rotating the hopper, which 1 represents fine and 15 for coarse ground.
- Fill in the hopper with coffee beans and make sure that the container and the lid are securely placed.
- Select the grinding time by turning the dial to your desired setting. Start with a 10-second setting when you use the grinder for the first time and you may adjust it later as needed.
- Press the OXO button and the grinder will start running. It will automatically stop at the set time, and if you need to immediately stop the grinder, just push the OXO button again.
Please take note that this guide is for the first time use of the grinder. If the hopper contains any beans, please adjust the grind setting while running the grinder to prevent jamming. And one more thing, please don’t overfill the hopper to prevent jamming the chute, and also for you to grind with more consistency so you can prepare a great cup of your favorite coffee brew.
How do I clean my OXO Burr Grinder?
- Run the unit with an empty hopper for 10 seconds to clear any remaining ground from the blades and the chute. Unplug the unit.
- Remove the hopper by turning the knob inside in a counterclockwise direction until it clicks.
- Now you will have access to the cone-shaped blades. Clean any coffee residues from the blades with a brush. To remove the upper blade, simply lift the metal handle and turn it counterclockwise, then pull straight up.
- With a soft bristle brush, clean the burrs and ground chute. Please never use water in cleaning the inside of the grinder to prevent damaging the motor.
- Replace the upper blade by properly aligning their indents. Turn the blade clockwise to lock it in place, then lift the handle to check. If the blade doesn’t pull up, then it is securely in place.
- Clean the grinder body with a soft damp cloth.
- Clean the hopper and ground chamber by handwashing. Rinse and dry completely.
- Replace the hopper and turn clockwise to lock it in place.
What is the best burr grinder?
The OXO and the three alternative grinders are all worthy to be the best. They are all versatile and full of features that can make you a certified home barista. Probably from our review, the best can be decided by considering the budget.
The OXO and the Capresso are in the middle price range, where the latter is just a few dollars cheaper. If we are to be asked, we’d still go for the OXO Brew for functionality, ease of use, and its stainless steel body.
The Cuisinart DBM-8 is a way cheaper model, but we see it as too bulky, and we think OXO easier to operate and has more features despite its 15 grind selection setting, and additionally, it’s compact.
Finally, if budget is not an issue, the Baratza Encore with its 40 grind selection is an excellent upgrade, although we still love the OXO for its timer, which the Baratza lacks.
What is a conical burr grinder?
Just similar to the OXO, it is a grinder composed of two cone-shaped plates that crush whole coffee grains and produce even ground particles.
We hope that you have learned a lot from our review and we hope that you may find the finest coffee grinder that perfectly matches your brewing needs.
Have a nice day and happy brewing!
Your trustworthy friend,
OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder
Oxo Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder
Product Brand: OXO
Product Currency: USD
Product Price: 99.99
Product In-Stock: https://schema.org/InStock