Polly is a freelance copywriter and content writer originally from South Carolina. She currently spends much of her time traveling. She also loves coffee, craft beer, and spending time outdoors with her dog. You can see more of Polly at pollycloverwrites.com.
Having a high-quality is a game-changer for the perfect . Today, we’re going to take a look at the Breville Smart Pro to see what it’s all about. We’ll also check out some alternatives.
Every is. There’s nothing like a hot cup of morning joe that features top-notch flavor. You simply can’t get this with ., like myself, knows how important a freshly
Let’s kick things off and see what the Breville Smart Pro has to offer!
Interested in matching your coffee grinder with a coffee maker? Check out 7 Best Options Under 100 In 2021!
All About the Breville Smart Grinder Pro
Grab your cup of joe and let’s take a quick look at the ‘s features and specifications.
- 40 mm stainless steel conical burr grinder specifically designed to reduce heat to protect coffee oil from burning
- 60 grind settings for more professional-like home brewing
- Precision electronic timer
- Large bean hopper with a capacity of 18 oz (1.125 g)
- Dosing IQ
- LCD screen
- Includes a grinds bin with lid and sealing cap, cleaning brush, and espresso portafilter cradle for 50/54mm (small) and 58mm (big)
- Item weight: 6.4 lbs (102.4 oz)
- Product dimension: 12.5 x 8.5 x 16.3 in (6.35 x 21.59 x 41.40 cm)
If we’re being honest, the model isn’t as affordable as some other entry-level automatic burr grinders. However, this boasts tons of features. It’s meant to and measure just the right amount for any coffee drinker needs – whether you’re looking to make an or a large pot of .
This smart Breville was designed for versatility, functionality, and elegance. Doesn’t that sound like an excellent ingredient to your morning ? This machine is meant to handle whatever you prefer including , drip, , Aeropress, and .
Burrs and Motor
Burrs and motors are two of the most important factors to consider when choosing the right . The Smart Pro is equipped with 40 mm conical stainless steel burrs to provide the ideal . Although conical burrs are known to be quieter than flat burrs, it’s important to note that this machine is a bit louder than you may anticipate.
It’s also powered by a 165-watt motor that runs at 450 rpm which is just enough speed to reduce heat build-up. This feature maintains the integrity of the bean oil.
Bean Hopper and Grounds Container
Since hoppers aren’t typically airtight, we don’t recommend keeping your there for too long. However, the Breville hopper is made to have an airtight lid and the hopper is large enough to hold a little more and a pound of beans. The hopper also features a locking mechanism so that no beans spill under.
The grounds container is made of plastic, and it fits nicely under the spout. It also has measurement markings to let you know how many cups of java you can make with the grounds.
Portability and Storing
Since this machine is fairly large, it’s not the most portable or easy to store. With that said, its appealing aesthetics make it an elegant-looking piece to display on kitchen countertops.
Users love how this machine’s design makes it easy to clean. When you remove the hopper, the burrs are revealed. Then, you’ll notice red markings to show where to lock and unlock the upper burr for removal, cleaning, and putting back together.
It also includes a container with a lid and sealing cap and a cleaning brush.
This machine is built to last for years. It’s made with stainless steel and strong plastic panels.
It’s important to mention that while most mechanical grinders have fairly straightforward electronic parts, the electronics of this Breville grinder can affect its durability. However, handling it with care should make a difference.
Ease of Use
This is designed to be easy to use. With that said, it may take some practice if you’re used to an old-school electric .
Again, this machine is packed with features. Once you figure out how to use each of them, you’ll be able to take your java to a whole new level.
Here’s how its features will improve your world of :
- Dosing iQ: allows you to set the time in increments of 0.2 seconds giving you total control and a perfect dose every time
- 60 grind setting: lets you make all kinds of beverages and produce a or ; also includes a manual function
- LCD display screen: clearly and concisely shows you each of your settings
Grind/Particle Size Consistency
The 60 coarse , simply adjust the burrs to coarse. The same process applies when you want a finer setting. allows you to make to . There’s also a feature to adjust the burrs to give you a for whichever setting you pick. If your Smart struggles to produce consistent
This has 10-step micro-adjustments built into the detachable top burr, so consistency won’t be a problem with this gizmo.
Our Overall Review
Considering all of the features, this machine offers great value. Here’s what we especially like:
- Attractive look
- Works well for any
- Can hold a large amount of
3 Alternatives To the Breville Smart Grinder Pro
If you aren’t sold on the smart Breville , no problem! Take a look at these 3 alternatives.
Baratza Virtuoso is a more expensive option, but it also offers tons of features. The enhanced burr set is made of hardened alloy steel. It also grinds quickly at a rate of 2g/second.
It has an accurate anywhere from fine to coarse. Its timer allows you more control as it can be adjusted in 0.1-second increments. The 40 allows you to brew using different methods
Since this is a fairly small machine, it’s easy to transport and to store in cabinets.
The Rancilio Rocky Doserless is designed to work with your . However, it’s also capable of for the percolator, drip, and . Like the Baratza Virtuoso, this can also directly into a .
This machine has 50mm hardened steel flat burrs for a consistently fine . The burrs can easily be calibrated for a more accurate consistency if needed. The tinted hopper can contain an incredible 10 oz (0.625 lbs) beans.
If you want a more affordable that provides a for a wide range of brewing methods, this is a great option. It’s also versatile, easy to use, and has a powerful motor.
This machine is equipped with hardened alloy burrs that reduce heat conduction and helps preserve the flavor of the beans. The 40 allows you to brew for all kinds of coffees.
Breville is an Australian company founded by Bill O’Brien and Harry Norville in 1932. It was originally known for its small home appliances, specifically kitchen machines.
In 1982, Breville was sold to a European company known as Newells Brands. For more than 80 years, the company has continued to bring innovation and world-class design for kitchen products in more than 30 countries across the globe.
With almost 100 years of experience in manufacturing and innovating kitchen products, there’s no doubt that this company is worthy to be trusted.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Breville Smart Grinder Pro good for espresso?
Yes. Since this machine provides consistent fine , it’s perfect for makers.
How do you use a Breville Smart Grinder Pro?
The Smart is very easy to use if you aren’t intimidated by its programmable interface. Following these steps will allow you to use to machine with ease.
- Pour in the coffee beans in the hopper.
- Using the side-mounted dial, select the desired grind setting.
- The dial below the LCD screen is the grind time setting and you can set it in increments of 0.2 seconds.
- Press the start button and wait for the machine to stop. (Note that you can also use the manual button when using the espresso portafilter).
You may also use the shot/cups button. This will allow the machine to automatically calculate the exact time setting that will provide the .
How do I clean my Breville Smart Grinder Pro?
To help ensure your machine lasts, it’s necessary to clean your at least once a month. Cleaning your is fairly simple by just following these steps.
- Unplug the unit from the outlet.
- Remove the hopper by turning the dial counterclockwise.
- Transfer the remaining beans into an airtight container by turning the dial clockwise to release beans below the hopper.
- Replace the hopper securely and turn on the grinder until there are no remaining beans inside the burrs.
- Unlock and remove the hopper.
- Remove the upper burr by turning it counterclockwise to the red align marking.
- Clean the upper and lower burr with a brush.
- Brush the ground chute.
- Replace the upper burr by pushing it down making sure the red arrow is pointing at the red align marker. Turn it to lock position.
- Put the hopper back in place and turn the dial clockwise to lock position.
How do I fix my Breville coffee grinder?
There will be times when your will seize working. However, it could be a minor issue you can fix on your own before you call customer service. Here’s how you can do that.
- If the machine suddenly slows down, turn the pause button to stop the process.
- Follow the steps to clean your .
- Check to see if this has solved the issue.
This problem happens because the machine is equipped with an underpowered motor. Sometimes beans get stuck, and the motor tends to slow down or stop. However, it’s usually a simple fix.
Pro is an excellent upgrade for the true . We hope this gave you all the information needed to help you be on your way to brewing the perfect java.
Remember it’s always okay to go with one of our alternative options if that suits your wants and needs better!
If you’re interested in reading about other 7 best budget ! grinders in 2021grinders, check out this article on the