Well, it comes with using the pour over method!
BTW, we really liked this explanation of how to actually brew with pour over (opens in new tab).
There’s no need for expensive machines, and the brewing process is straightforward (yet, needs to be mastered for perfect brew every time). Searching for the best pour over coffee maker could be a tedious task.
There are many products to choose from, and checking on them one by one is arduous. But we did the difficult part of researching for you.
And for that, all you have to do is scroll down the page and learn about our selection of pour over coffee makers. We’ll also help you decide which one is best for you with the buyer’s guide that you’ll find later in this article.
Aren’t you excited yet? Let us help you find the perfect pour over coffee maker that fits your daily brewing needs.
11 Best Pour Over Coffee Makers
The Hario ceramic coffee dripper is made of heat-resistant glass from Japan. The ceramic glass retains heat for a constant temperature that helps extract more flavor from the ground coffee.
It is size 02 that is enough to make 1 to 4 cups. This size is excellent for a small family or a few friends
The inner spiral ribs enhance coffee expansion. This feature allows water to saturate the ground coffee for more flavorful cups evenly.
- Durable ceramic material
- Easy to use and clean
- Ideal for sharing with a friend or two
- Compact and lightweight
- Easy to carry during travels
- The single hole could be better if it’s a bit smaller to allow the coffee to steep a bit longer.
The OXO BREW auto-drip pour over coffee maker has an innovative design. Put in the desired amount of ground coffee, pour water, and then pour over coffee maker will do the rest.
It has a snug-fitting lid that helps retain heat for better flavor extraction. The lid also doubles as a drip tray just right after the brewing process.
The ribbed dripper walls allow for better coffee flow, thus steeping the brew slowly. The tank measurement markings let you know how much water is added.
- BPA-free plastic materials
- Durable plastic
- Lid doubles as a drip tray for mess-free brewing
- Easy to use and clean
- Great for traveling
- It’s so light that it easily gets knocked over.
The Bodum pour over coffee maker has this hourglass-shaped carafe made of borosilicate glass. Its durable material makes it more thermal and shock-resistant.
It has a 1-liter carafe, so it serves not just for one person. It’s an ideal feature to enjoy coffee with a few friends.
The stainless steel permanent coffee filter allows coffee oil to pass through, so you get to enjoy more flavorful cups of Joe. It also gives you more aromatic coffee.
- The cork band allows better handling and for safety purposes.
- It helps you save money on paper filters.
- It has a beautiful design.
- It’s easy to use.
- It’s dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.
- Durable borosilicate glass
- BPA-free plastic parts
- The spout design seems to be narrow, so you have to pour slowly to prevent spills.
The Coffee Gator pour over brewer has an elegant look. Its shape is like an hourglass with a handle for the smooth and safe pouring of hot coffee.
The stainless steel dual filter is laser cut for precision. It doesn’t absorb oil, so you get rich flavorful brewed coffee with an intense aroma.
The filter has a cool-touch handle, so your fingers are safe from burns. The carafe is made from durable heat-resistant glass, which is also BPA-free.
- Elegant aesthetic
- The carafe handle is designed for safety and easy handling.
- The stainless steel filter allows you to save money from paper filters.
- Brews rich coffee
- Easy to clean
- Easy to use
- The glass carafe is a bit thin, so you need to be careful not to bump it while washing.
The CHEMEX pour over has been known since 1941, and its popular elegant hourglass shape has never been altered since. The 1.2 liters capacity is enough to brew coffee for several people.
The polished wood collar is a safety feature that prevents your hands from burning. It also allows you to have a better grip on the coffee maker while pouring hot coffee.
- Elegant hourglass design
- Functional polished wood collar
- Easy to use and clean
- Chemex bonded filters are 30% thicker than ordinary paper filters
- Lightweight but durable
- Large capacity for sharing
- Using Chemex bonded filters may cause you additional expenses.
The Melitta pour over coffee brewer comes with a 1.8 L stainless steel thermal carafe. The large capacity brewer is great for sharing cups of coffee with family, friends, and co-workers.
The filter cone is made of BPA-free plastic and can accommodate #4 and #6 Melitta filter papers. It is top-rack dishwasher safe for easy cleanup.
The ribbed internal wall design holds the paper filter better, so it doesn’t slip around while you pour in hot water. This feature ensures even saturation of the ground coffee.
- Large capacity brewing lets you serve coffee for a crowd
- The stainless steel thermal pot keeps coffee warm for a few hours.
- It is easy to use and clean
- The BPA-free pour over brewer is safe for health.
- The pour over brewer fits in most cup sizes for single-serve brewing.
- It’s better if a permanent coffee filter is included in the product.
The JavaPresse pour over coffee maker is a straightforward brewer. It doesn’t require paper filters as the double-walled laser-cut mesh filter is enough to strain 99.9% of coffee grounds.
You don’t get the grits but instead, the bold flavors and refreshing aroma of freshly brewed coffee. The 4-inch base allows for a stable fit in most standard-sized cups.
Best of all, the stainless steel pour over brewer does not shatter or will not easily break. Therefore, it’s excellent for traveling, whether outdoors, hotel vacations, or even daily trips to the office.
- It’s compact, lightweight, and won’t shatter like glass, so it’s great for traveling.
- It’s durable as it’s made of 18/10 thick stainless steel material.
- It could last a lifetime as it doesn’t rust.
- It’s easy to use and clean.
- It saves you money from buying paper filters.
- The filter grip could have been better if it has a cool-touch handle.
Compliment your pour over coffee maker with JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder.
The Hario plastic coffee dripper has a V60 design, which controls the flow, timing, and brew temperature. This feature ensures that you get more flavor from the ground coffee, leaving you a rich and flavorful cup of Joe.
The plastic is made from sturdy material, so it’s tough and won’t shatter like the ceramic. It’s also BPA-free, so it’s safe for your health.
The base size fits snugly on most cups. It’s compact and lightweight, which makes it great for traveling.
- Made of sturdy plastic materials for longevity
- Great travel partner
- Safe for your health
- Easy to use and clean
- Fits most cups
- The use of a paper filter is expensive in the long run.
The Melitta Ready Set Joe single cup coffee brewer is made from BPA-free plastic. Therefore, it’s safe to use.
It’s compatible to use with #2 and #4 paper filters so it can brew for different cup sizes. Brew for single-serve or sharing.
It’s lightweight, compact, and doesn’t break like glass or ceramic. These features make it a great coffee brewer for traveling.
It’s easy to use and clean. The device is top-rack dishwasher safe.
The base window allows you to see if the cup is full, so there’s no need to lift the brewer. It also prevents unintentional spills.
- Compact and lightweight allow you to carry it with your travels
- Durable and BPA-free plastic material for longevity and health safety
- Easy to use
- Top-rack dishwasher safe for easy cleanup
- Innovative base window design
- The use of paper filters is costly in the long run.
The Kuissential SlickDrip collapsible pour over coffee brewer has an ingenious design that makes it great for traveling. It collapses up to an inch size that it can fit right into your pocket.
It is made of durable silicone material so it can last longer. The food-grade silicone material is BPA-free, so it’s safe for your health.
Brew single-serve coffee with the use of #2 paper cone filters. Can’t get enough using #2 filter? You can fit in #4 paper filters for brewing bigger cups.
- Innovative design
- Great for outdoor use, hotel vacations, travel, work, and home use
- Food grade and BPA-free silicone material
- Easily fits in most standard-sized cups
- The pour over brewer wobbles on top of the cup while pouring hot water. And the lack of safety grip increases the risk of burning your fingers.
Want a highly portable pour over coffee maker that doesn’t require paper filters? The Primula Brew Buddy is an innovative reusable fine mesh filter that brews delicious single-serve coffee.
The materials used are food-grade and, therefore, safe for your health. The silicone ring snugly fits on different cup sizes.
- Dishwasher safe so it’s easy to clean
- Lightweight and compact, so it’s highly portable
- Brews delicious coffee
- Food grade materials make it safe for your health
- The wide silicone rim snugly fits in different cup sizes.
- It’s so compact that it can easily get lost during campings and other outdoor activities.
Buyers Guide For Pour Over Coffee Makers
For What Purpose is your Pour Over Coffee Maker?
Personal or Shared
Are you going to use your pour over coffee maker for personal use or share it with a few people? If it’s for personal use, a single-serve pour over brewer is the ideal pick.
However, if you intend to share coffee with a few people, you might need something designed to serve 1 to 4 cups of Joe or more.
Office and Home Use
Any pour over brewer will do for office or home use. It will all depend on how many people drink coffee with you.
If it’s for travel use, then consider the material used. You might think plastic or silicone pour over coffee maker.
Glass and ceramic are prone to breaking, so you need to be careful when traveling with these kinds of pour over brewer.
What Materials do you Prefer?
Glass or Ceramic
Borosilicate glass is durable and can withstand thermal shocks. It is also durable and can withstand a certain amount of shock, but it’s not shatter-free.
The glass looks elegant, but it doesn’t retain heat as much as the ceramic.
On the other hand, ceramic is also durable and heat-resistant. Ceramic has better heat retention, so you get more flavorful cups of Joe.
Plastic or Silicone
Plastics are shatter-free, unlike glass and ceramic pour overs. But they pose health hazards due to chemical leaching when heated.
To avoid such health hazards, try to look for BPA-free plastic materials. They are safe to use and don’t leach toxic substances when heated.
Silicone is almost the same as plastic, but they are more like rubber. If you’re picking a silicone-made pour over coffee maker, look for one made of food-grade silicone for health reasons.
What Type of Filter do you Prefer?
Single-use Paper Filter
Single-use paper filter strains coffee oil that carries flavor and aroma. It may affect coffee flavor and aromatic properties, but health experts prefer paper filters.
It is because paper filters block cafestol, a substance from coffee associated with the increase of cholesterol in our body.
As much as possible, avoid chlorine-bleached paper filters. They affect the flavor of your coffee.
Instead, use oxygen-bleached paper filters as they don’t affect the flavor and aroma of your brewed coffee.
Another thing to consider in using paper filters is the cost. In the long run, the use of paper filters can be expensive.
Permanent coffee filters are usually made from stainless steel mesh or nylon. These coffee filters let coffee oil pass through, so you’ll have more flavorful and aromatic cups of Joe.
However, like French press coffee, health experts are discouraging coffee lovers from using metal or nylon filters to allow the cafestol to pass through.
Permanent filters leave you with less mess, and they also help you save money. Additionally, they are more eco-friendly.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the best pour over coffee maker?
The best pour over coffee maker depends on your coffee brewing needs. Your lifestyle may also affect in picking the best pour over coffee maker.
Is pour over better than drip?
Pour over is better than the drip method because you have more control over the brewing process. Pour over also allows you to take longer coffee extraction resulting in more flavorful and aromatic cups of coffee.
Which is better French press or pour over?
When you talk about flavor, the French press is the better option as it extracts more flavorful coffee. But when you want a more convenient way of brewing coffee, pour over is better.
Moreover, pour over is quick and much easier to clean.
Can you use pre ground coffee for pour over?
Yes, you can use pre-ground coffee for pour over. But still, freshly ground coffee beans will always produce better tasting cups of Joe.
How much ground coffee do I use for a pour over?
As a general rule, we follow a ratio of 1:18 for regular strength and 1:15 ratio for a more potent brew.
To understand easily, you might want to follow the ratio below:
- 1 cup water= 236 ml (8 fl oz) water is to 13.1 g (0.45 oz) coffee;
- 2 cups = 472 ml (16 fl oz) is to 26.2 g (0.9 oz) coffee;
- 3 cups = 708 ml (24 fl oz) is to 39.3 g (1.33 oz) coffee;
- 4 cups = 944 ml (32 fl oz) is to 52.4 g (1.77 oz) coffee;
- 5 cups = 1180 ml (40 fl oz) is to 65.5 g (2.22 oz) coffee;
- and so on…
- 1 cup water = 236 ml (8 fl oz) is to 16 g (0.53 oz) coffee;
- 2 cups = 472 ml (16 fl oz) is to 31 g (1.07 oz) coffee;
- 3 cups = 708 ml (24 fl oz) is to 47 g (1.6 oz) coffee;
- 4 cups = 944 ml (32 fl oz) is to 63 g (2.13 oz) coffee;
- 5 cups = 1180 ml (40 fl oz) is to 79 g (2.67 oz) coffee;
- and so on…