Polly is a freelance copywriter and content writer originally from South Carolina. She currently spends much of her time traveling. She also loves coffee, craft beer, and spending time outdoors with her dog. You can see more of Polly at pollycloverwrites.com.
Are you looking for the perfect drip coffee machine that brews up something delicious? Today, I’m going to share with you the best Bonavita Coffee Makers of 2021 that are all easy to use. Learn more about what each one features and how they compare.
As someone who loves top-notch java but doesn’t have a whole lot of time in the morning, I’m all about a simple machine that can brew a flawless pot of joe. I’ve done the research to find the best Bonavita brewer of 2021 and I’m going to share those with you today along with their pros and cons.
What are Bonavita Brewers and What Makes Them Special?
Bonavita knows what it takes to brew the perfect java: fresh coffee quality and pure filtered water. They’ve refined their machines to have only the essential elements so that it’s simple to brew up something fantastic every time. Bonavita products have a simple design that provides consistent, delicious results.
Not only does Bonavita understand the science of brewing, but they’re also certified by the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA). Certified java makers stand out because they represent high-quality brewers.
If you’re seeking a one-of-a-kind machine, then the Bonavita brand is the right starting point. It can be difficult to decide which one to commit to when there are so many options. That’s why I’m going to give you the details to help you pick a Bonavita coffee brewer you’re going to love!
Leading Bonavita Products
The Bonavita products that we’re going to review are high-quality and SCA-certified. This is what makes them stand out in comparison to other brewers. In fact. it’s not that easy to pass the rigorous technical standards formulated and followed by the SCA. Therefore, the Bonavita brewers are exemplary.
These brewers display many of the same features that make them easy to use (one-touch coffee brewing) and they’re all BPA-free. However, there are some differences in terms of how they look and work.
The Bonavita BV1900TS is an awesome machine because of its simplicity. Its one-touch feature makes it quick and easy to use.
It also has a powerful 1500 watts heater that brews 8 cups within a 6-minute time span. After your pot of java is ready, it maintains a temperature between 195°-205°F (91°-96°C). This is one of the reasons why it is considered a prime drip coffee maker.
Its optional pre-infusion feature makes for delicious java. This function imitates the artisan pour-over brewing method because it pauses the water flow to moisturize the ground coffee. Doing this releases the carbon dioxide within the grounds bringing out diverse flavors. Keep in mind that pre-infusing adds two minutes to your brewing process.
Note: Pre-infusion works best with freshly ground coffee beans. If you’re using pre-ground beans, there won’t be much flavor extraction.
- Pre-infusion allows better extraction of flavors
- Maintains optimal brewing temperature between 195°-205°F (91°-96°C) for precise flavor
- Showerhead and filter basket design allows even distribution of water for better flavor extraction
- Thermal pot keeps your beverage warm for an hour
- Easy to use
- SCA certified
- Poorly-designed carafe lip (prone to leaking at the sides)
Like the Bonavita BV1900TS model, the BV1900TD programmable model brews a great mug of java. While these two models function the same and share similar features, this one is an upgraded version due to its timer ability.
The programmable feature means you can wake up to a delicious hot coffee aroma. Now this incredible convenience is a dream for coffee lovers!
- Convenience of the automatic start brewing function
- Quick 6 minutes of water heating
- Pre-infusion mode helps bring out different coffee ground flavors
- Brewing temperature between 195°-205°F (91°-96°C) for a precisely brewed coffee
- Showerhead and flat-bottomed basket provide even flavor extraction
- Carafe keeps beverage warm
- plastic lid can leak where it attaches to the pot
The BV1901TS or the Bonavita Connoisseur has the same functions as its SCA-certified brothers (the first two on this list). One of its unique attributes is the hanging filter basket designed with a flat bottom that’s easy to clean.
There is also an audible signal that alerts you when the brewing cycle is complete. This also reminds you to put the removable carafe lid back on to keep your java warm.
- Tested to brew to Golden Cup Standard
- Brews an 8 cup pot in 6 minutes
- Strong 1500-watt heater to maintain precise brewing temperature
- Option pre-infusion setting to bring out all the flavors
- Showerhead design creates uniform saturation of grounds
- Audible alert when brewing cycle finishes
- Simple, one-touch brewing
- Materials are BPA-free plastic
- Carafe retains heat
- Drink cools quickly if the lid isn’t placed back on after brewing
The Metropolitan Bonavita Coffee Maker is similar to the others. What makes it unique is that it’s made of economical plastic design. It also doesn’t have a programmable option.
- Brews great coffee to Golden Cup Standard
- Easy to clean filter basket design and tempered glass carafe
- Pre-infusion mode to brew flavorful the best flavors
- Audible alert when brewing is complete
- Tempered glass carafe retains heat
- No-spill carafe unlike the thermal carafe design of other Bonavita models
- Not programmable
Take a look at how to set up Bonavita Pre-Infusion mode:
Now that we’ve gotten the full scoop on the four top Bonavita brewers in 2021, let’s take a look at an overall comparison.
- one-touch brewing making it effortless for all users
- brews 4 cups of high-quality joe
- all plastic parts are BPA-free
- the ability to pre-infuse grounds to bring out the full flavors
- BV1900TS 8-Cup One-Touch Coffee Maker: thermal stainless steel carafe
- BV1900TD 8-Cup Programmable Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker: auto-start feature, showerhead and flat bottom, thermal carafe
- Connoisseur 8-Cup One-Touch Coffee Maker BV1901TS: audible alert when brewing finishes
- Metropolitan 8-Cup One-Touch Coffee Maker BV1901PW: audible signal when brewing is complete, hanging filter basket, eco-friendly design
3 Alternatives to a Bonavita Coffee Maker
Whether you’re not sold quite yet or you like to weigh all the options, no problem! There are great choices aside from the Bonavita brewers.
Product and brand comparison can help you decide which machine best fits your brewing requirements. So, let’s take a look at comparable brewers.
The Cuisinart CPO-800 has great aesthetics. Its stainless steel body design adds an elegant look to your kitchen counter.
Its ‘bloom’ element extracts more flavors by evenly saturating the ground coffee to help release CO2. Its flavor strength control also allows you to choose its strength (mild, medium, bold).
It also has a programmable feature that makes brewing coffee more convenient. And, like one of the Bonavita products, allows you to wake up to ready-made java.
- Easy to use and clean
- Keeps drink warm for up to 2 hours with its heating plate
- Customizable flavor strength
- Durable stainless steel construction
- Great aesthetic
- 24-hour programmable
- Digital display tends to dim
Unlike the Bonavita machines, this OXO Brew coffee maker brews up to 9 cups. This extra bit saves you time when serving a large group. The programmable features allow you to customize the amount brewed.
- Easy to use and setup
- Can customize the number of cups brewed from 2-9 C
- Carafe has an appealing look
- Larger capacity than most java makers
- Cheap plastic parts construction
The Bunn Speed Brew Platinum is much larger than Bonavita Coffee Makers, making up to 10 cups. Even though it can make so much coffee, it does it in only a few minutes!
You may wonder how it brews in half the time as some other makers. The secret is that hot water is stored in a commercial-grade stainless steel tank. With that said, it must be on the counter and plugged in throughout the day so it’s ready when you are.
- Quick brewing (less than 4 minutes)
- Spray head design is unique and extracts full-flavors
- Carafe keeps java warm for more than 2 hours
- Easy to use and clean
- Has a 3-year warranty
- Designed and made in the USA
- The taller funnel design prevents water overflow
- Needs to stay on to keep the water hot inside the tank
If you like the BUNN Brewer, here are more: Best BUNN Coffee Makers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which is the best Bonavita brewer?
The top choice Bonavita coffee maker is the BV1900TD 8-cup Programmable brewer with a thermal carafe. This is because of the added convenience in comparison to the Connoisseur and the BV1900TS.
However, you don’t find a need to time when your brewer will begin, then you can’t go wrong with the Connoisseur or the BV1900TS models.
Is Bonavita a good brand?
Bonavita is definitely considered a good brand. Keep in mind that most of their products are SCA-certified and rated to brew Golden Cup Standard. This proves that their machines are brewing up something special.
Why is my Bonavita brewer taking longer than 6-minutes to brew?
There are a few possible reasons:
- The line voltage where you live may be lower than 120v which can slow the process down.
- Time begins when the water first comes out of the showerhead, not when you hit start.
- It may be time to descale your machine. See below for cleaning your brewer.
Why isn’t my beverage hot?
Brewers are made to work at 195-205°F. Once the beverage comes in contact with air, the temperature drops and is typically 175-185°F. Making a smaller batch or at higher elevations may result in a lower temperature.
Is there any replacement or accessory parts available?
Yes, you can purchase extra parts at Espresso Supply.
How do I clean my Bonavita brewer?
Even the best machines need to be cleaned regularly. In fact, hard water can accumulate calcium deposits which may affect the brewing process. Consistent cleaning will keep your pot in superior working condition. It will also help prolong its life so that it lasts for many years to come.
Tips for cleaning:
- Before you clean your java machine, be sure that the hot plate has cooled down.
- Using a soft cloth, wipe the body of your brewer after every use. This will keep it looking polished.
- If you’re using a reusable stainless steel filter, then washing with warm water alone is enough.
- It is recommended to wash the filter basket with warm soapy water every week. The same process applies to the carafe.
- Every month, it is suggested to perform descaling to deep clean your brewer. Descalers, like this one, are a substance that works to remove limestone build-up. Run a full brewing cycle with the descaling agent to remove calcium deposits. Run another full brewing cycle using plain water twice to rinse off residues of the descaling agent and calcium deposits.
Who owns Bonavita?
Bonavita is owned by a Seattle-based company known as Espresso Supply, Inc. It was founded in 1993 by Laura Sommers. The business started as an equipment supplier for cafes.
In 2013, the company became a global distributor of the Bonavita coffee makers, kettles, and other accessories for java brewing.
Happy Brewing with your new Bonavita brewer!